ProgressNow Colorado Education
Abortion Rights and Reproductive Freedom Program Director
1536 Wynkoop St, Denver, CO 80202, USA
For more than a decade, ProgressNow Colorado Education has been the leading progressive voice online and in the press in Colorado, acting as the public relations shop for the progressive movement and infrastructure in our state. We have supported the communications objectives of allied organizations as their needs have changed, and we have worked to ensure that Coloradans are educated about who represents them and where those individuals stand on issues impacting our families and communities.
ProgressNow Colorado Education specializes in rapid-response communications and storytelling work, and we have built a base of more than 50,000 supporters across the state, who not only engage with the content we develop online, but turn out in person to fight for our shared values—in the capitol, at demonstrations, and at the ballot box. Our approach to traditional and digital media is comprehensive, including digital advertising and targeting, email, text messaging, digital content development, videography, message, and spokesperson development, pitching and developing relationships with local, state, and national press, blogging, research, and news writing.
ProgressNow Colorado Education and ProgressNow Colorado – 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations, respectively- are seeking a Reproductive Rights Program Director to work closely with the Executive Director in leading PNC and PNCE’s abortion and reproductive freedom program. This Abortion Rights and Reproductive Freedom Program Director will work with the Executive Director and will lead program staff in strategic planning and program development, partner outreach and communications support, and multi-brand communications programming and online organizing within ProgressNow Colorado Education. To be successful in this role, the individual will build an inclusive program that fulfills grant requirements across multiple brands and provide support and necessary project management to programs within ProgressNow Colorado and ProgressNow Colorado Education, as well as partner organizations.
In this role, the successful individual will elevate abortion and reproductive rights to educate and engage key audiences across Colorado through robust communications programming–including earned, paid, and online media.
Program and Campaign Management
- Develop and manage strategic communications and programming that is responsive to current events, builds the public narrative and expands public understanding and support of abortion and reproductive rights across PNC and PNCE brands.
- Implement PNC, PNCE, and partner programs, projects, and communications efforts that advance abortion rights and reproductive justice.
- Monitor national, state, and local abortion and reproductive justice news and events to identify opportunities and rapid response needs and to provide strategic direction that advances both brands within PNCE and the broader progressive abortion and reproductive rights community.
- Provide regular reporting regarding PNCE’s abortion and reproductive rights programs and campaigns.
- Provide continuous evaluation of PNCE brands efforts and provide program direction and support to maximize.
- Work with the Executive Director and staff to implement strategic programming to maximize PNCE brands and partner voices in advancing abortion rights and reproductive justice in Colorado.
Communications and Programming
- Develop and oversee PNC and PNCE brand abortion and reproductive rights programming implementing creative projects, campaigns, events, and actions across PNCE brands.
- Manage and create abortion and reproductive rights communications including but not limited to: website, podcast, merchandise store, regular reports and action alerts, videos, photoshoots, social media platforms, educational materials, events, and programs that are responsive to both advancing the reproductive justice and abortions rights movement and to current events.
- Identify and serve as a spokesperson for brands within PNCE.
- Work in coordination with PNCE creative teams (digital and video) to maintain presence of PNCE brands across earned and paid media platforms, including content creation and campaign development.
- Oversee growth of public and key audience engagement across PNCE brands.
- Manage day-to-day implementation of abortion rights and reproductive freedom program objectives, working closely with the Executive Director.
- Manage press and communications efforts on behalf of PNCE brands and coalition efforts.
- Build and manage reporter relationships.
- Oversee development of materials for brands within PNCE and as needed for the coalition and partners.
- Create and ensure implementation of regular newsletter and media clips distribution through each of PNCEs appropriate brands.
- Oversee and participate in strategic research initiatives.
- Identify and work with the PNCE team to provide communications (including earned and social media and other media) support to progressive abortion rights and reproductive health, rights and justice partners.
- Participate as part of the PNCE team at reproductive rights coalition tables.
- Cultivate working and proactive relationships with PNCE existing partner organizations.
- Strategically identify and cultivate relationships with new partner organizations.
- Facilitate and participate in appropriate coalition meetings.
- Attend and ensure PNCE coverage for relevant events including allied organizations, causes and partners.
- Evaluate PNCE programs and provide regular reporting for the Executive Director and funders ensuring maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
- Work with the Executive Director and PNCE staff on fundraising efforts including, but not limited to grant writing and reporting.
- Provide regular reporting to the program director and PNCE team.
- Prospect, research and identify grant prospects.
- Work with PNCE team on grant writing and reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3-5+ years experience in program and communications management.
- Commitment to inclusive gender, racial, and social justice movement.
- Knowledge and experience working in the progressive, abortion rights and reproductive justice, and/or Colorado political spaces.
- Successful ability to develop and implement strategic programming that is responsive to both movement advancement and current events.
- Expertise in inclusive and strategic relationship cultivation, coalition building, and community organizing.
- Skilled ability to manage multiple projects, develop and oversee work plans, and meet programmatic goals and objectives,
- Proficiency in multimedia communications and advocacy.
- Ability to manage and implement multi-media strategies including, but not limited to message development, content creation across online media platforms, earned media outreach, and
- Successful experience managing program staff and participating in a team setting.
- Strong knowledge of abortion rights and reproductive justice landscape.
- Commitment to working within a professional team, cultivating both and internal and external culture of inclusion.
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Established experience and relationships in the reproductive health, rights, and justice movements.
- Established experience in the Colorado progressive movement.
- Strong background in earned media.
- Experience managing multimedia with social media platforms, ads, and digital campaigns.
- Strong background in research and writing (ie. blogging, journalism, content creation, etc.).
Compensation and benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position that includes some nights and weekends and some travel.
ProgressNow Colorado offers a competitive salary and a full benefits package–including generous paid time off and holidays; generous health, dental insurance, and optional vision benefits; a SIMPLE IRA plan with employer match; and professional development opportunities.
Salary range: $75,000 to High $85,000, based on experience and skills.
To apply, please submit your resume and a brief cover letter to [email protected] by May 31, 2023
ProgressNow Colorado Education and ProgressNow Colorado are Equal Opportunity Employers. This means that we will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard for race, religion, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender association, gender expression, age, disability, handicap, marital status or veterans/military status. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees, and LGBTQ people to apply.