For more than a decade, ProgressNow Colorado has been the leading progressive voice online and in the press in Colorado, acting as the public relations shop for the progressive movement and infrastructure in our state. We have supported the communications objectives of allied organizations as their needs have changed, and we have worked to ensure that Coloradans are educated about who represents them and where those individuals stand on issues impacting our families and communities.
ProgressNow Colorado specializes in rapid-response communications and storytelling work, and we have built a base of more than 30,000 supporters across the state, who not only engage with the content we develop online but turn out in person to fight for our shared values—in the capitol, at demonstrations, and at the ballot box. Our approach to traditional and digital media is comprehensive, including digital advertising and targeting, email, text messaging, digital content development, videography, message, and spokesperson development, pitching and developing relationships with local, state, and national press, blogging, research, and news writing.
ProgressNow Colorado Education, a 501(c)(3) and its sister organization, ProgressNow Colorado, 501(c)(4) are looking for a dynamic new Executive Director. ProgressNow Colorado, a leader in cutting edge digital, political, and communications programs, focuses on the following in its work:
- Build a stronger progressive movement in Colorado. Through progressive community networking, digital organizing and innovative communication techniques and campaigns, ProgressNow Colorado works to build a stronger progressive movement in Colorado.
- Win advances in progressive public policy. Working closely with other progressive organizations and the grassroots community in Colorado, ProgressNow Colorado offers all Coloradans effective, easy, and fun ways to make their voices heard on critical policy decisions that impact our quality of life.
- Generate hard hitting traditional, earned, and digital media. ProgressNow Colorado efforts generate news coverage that shines the public spotlight on progressive solutions to real problems.
- Increase civic participation and educate the public. ProgressNow Colorado activates their members and ensures that the progressive voice is heard on issues that matter and work to educate the public about complex legislative issues that affect their communities.
We are searching for a leader to serve as the full-time Executive Director of both ProgressNow Colorado Education and ProgressNow Colorado. The position is based in Denver, Colorado. The Executive Director will lead a staff of thirteen talented and mission driven individuals to execute on the mission of both entities.
The Executive Director will also collaborate with other progressive organizations and coalitions to aid in amplifying progressive voices in Colorado. Finally, the Executive Director will work with both Boards of Directors, composed of donors, organizational leaders, and political strategists, to enable the mission work of both entities.
The ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial mindset and is a strategic thinker, a confident fundraiser, a collaborative leader and has a deep commitment to the values of equity and inclusion, genuine desire to learn, and demonstrated ability to deeply hear feedback and reflect on their own skills.
- Ensure adherence to best practices talent management and the organization’s specific Personnel Policies.
- Hire, manage, and direct the staff, along with regularly evaluating the work of the staff.
- Provide guidance, coaching, mentoring, and leadership development for staff.
- Oversee the work of contractors and consultants to the organization.
- Ensure appropriate oversight of the organization’s finances.
- Work with the boards, and responsible staff to develop annual budgets and facilitate annual audits for the organization.
- Oversee the organization’s financial systems and operations and daily finances to ensure compliance and soundness of the organization.
- Maintain an appropriate financial reserve.
- Ensure necessary compliance with state and federal regulations regarding 501(c) (3) and 501(c) (4) organizations, along with necessary tax preparation.
- Oversee the raising of funds for the success of the organization.
- Work with responsible staff, to develop and maintain relationships with funders, major donors, and key development stakeholders and raise the needed annual operational budget to ensure the financial stability of the organization as it executes on its mission.
- Work with the board, donors, and funders to identify potential new donors, and funders to support the organization.
- Ensure that the organization is a good steward of funds, including regularly accomplishing grant and partner deliverables.
- Ensure the organization is operating within state and federal laws and regulations.
- Engage on a proactive basis with legal counsel to review organization materials, contracts, programs, and board governance as to legal compliance and adherence.
- Proactively enable the collaboration and networking with activists, the progressive community, and stakeholders.
- Develop relationships with state, along with national and regional, entities and funders to advance the work of ProgressNow Colorado.
- Represent ProgressNow Colorado at convenings, enable partnerships and identify fundraising opportunities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the progressive community, organizations, and coalitions to advance the goals of ProgressNow Colorado – amplifying the progressive voices of members in support of progressive policies.
- Provide direction, inspiration, and guidance to enable effective communications strategies for the organization.
- Enable the creation and implementation of research-based messaging, and data to assist in developing communications campaign strategies.
- Utilize earned media and social media, web based innovative technologies, and other creative outlets.
- Develop communications programs to meet the needs of the progressive community, including but not limited to developing and maintaining relationships with local and national reporters and news outlets alike.
- Ongoing convening and engagement of Colorado’s progressive communications coalitions to provide mutual support, share best practices and advance organizational priorities.
- Engage with key progressive allies to advance shared goals and communications strategies.
- Enable appropriate Board governance, along with board engagement with the organization’s mission.
- Coordinate with both boards in preparing multi-year strategic plans for the organization.
- Facilitate with board leadership and appropriate staff board meetings, and governing committees, including board member cultivation and policy endorsement.
- Report regularly to the board leadership and the members of the organizations’ Boards of Directors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive values, preferably with experience in campaigns, non-profit organizations, advocacy, or legislative offices.
- Experience working with values-based digital targeting strategies.
- Experience with print, television, radio and online media outlets and platforms.
- Experience in senior roles in fundraising, board and staff management and operations.
- Experience with the full range of major donor fundraising, including prospecting, cultivation, and making direct asks.
- Exceptional communications skills, including public speaking and ability to engage with the press.
- Experience managing operational, financial, and legal business of nonprofits, campaigns, or other organizations.
- Expert relationship builder, with a variety of people: staff, consultants, donors, stakeholders, elected leaders, and external allies.
- Knowledge of the Colorado political and progressive landscape.
- Experience using and maintaining databases to research, track, and report on contributions and finances.
- Understanding of 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), 527, and independent expenditure procedures and regulations preferred.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
- Willingness to travel to key locations around the state as needed. National trips for meetings/conferences 1-2 times per year. (Post pandemic)
- Strong people skills, ability to exercise good judgment, and extreme discretion are a must.
- Proven ability to manage staff remotely/virtually.
This is a full-time, salaried position. ProgressNow Colorado offers a competitive salary and a full benefits package–including generous paid time off and holidays; generous health, dental insurance, and optional vision benefits; a SIMPLE IRA plan with employer match; and professional development opportunities.
Salary range: Low $125,000 to High $150,000, based on experience and skills.
To apply, please submit your resume and a brief cover letter.
Open date: March 19, 2021
Closing date: April 19, 2021
This policy states ProgressNow Colorado Education’s position on discrimination. This policy applies to all ProgressNow Colorado Education employees, volunteers, members, clients, and contractors.
An environment characterized by diversity, free inquiry, free expression, sexual and religious freedom, and balanced by interpersonal civility is now, and always will be, a top priority for ProgressNow Colorado Education. This environment is an essential aspect of promoting an inclusive and progressive vision for our state.
ProgressNow Colorado Education follows an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status.
This policy also applies to internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, terminations, outside vendors, members and customers, volunteers, service clients, use of contractors and consultants, and dealings with the general public.